I was in the UK on business this week when Amazon launched their new free music tier. Apple Music is $9.99 a month. Amazon Music Free is, well, free. Henry Burrell:
Open to the UK, US and Germany initially the free service will, according to Amazon, give users the ability to “play thousands of stations based on any song, artist, era, and genre; hear top global playlists; and the best in Holiday tunes.”
So, these are stations instead of personal lists?
- “All Hits,” a playlist featuring the biggest songs in the world.
- “Fuego Latino,” a collection of the week’s hottest Latin tracks.
- “Country Heat,” the ultimate playlist for today’s country music fan.
- The “Holiday Favorites” station, for the iconic songs that define the yuletide season.
- “Rap Rotation,” the new home for rap in heavy rotation.
Apple’s Music app has Beats 1 and you can listen to local radio stations, but to create your own ‘station’ you have to subscribe to Apple Music.