This is an idea whose time has come. Marco Arment on Low Power Mode. For the Mac.
Laptop battery life is decreasingly relevant to me as more airplanes offer power outlets. But sometimes you lose that lottery, as I did on my latest 8-hour daytime flight.
I prefer to sleep on a flight but I understand the sentiment.
Sometimes, you just need Low Power Mode: the switch added to iOS a few years ago to conserve battery life when you need it, at the expense of full performance and background tasks.
How would Apple accomplish a Low Power Mode on the Mac to match iPhone?
- Disable the discrete GPU on 15-inch models unless required for hardware reasons2
- Pause Photos syncing and analysis
- Pause Spotlight indexing
- Reduce the frequency of Time Machine backups
- Don’t download or install software updates
- Don’t download new content in iTunes
- Auto-dim the screen after a shorter time
- Let third-party apps detect Low Power Mode and reduce their background operations to only essential work
- Reduce the processor’s maximum wattage or disable Turbo Boost
Good ideas all.