If you’ve ever lived in a tourist town, then you know that clueless visitors are often more trouble than they (or their wallets) are worth. And because you’ve likely tripped over enough clueless clods, you probably already know how NOT to be one when you’re the out-of-towner.
- Making no attempt to blend in/trying too hard to fit in
- Taking pictures of everything
- Skipping local restaurants for the stuff you eat at home
- Breaking the law
- Expecting every shop to take credit cards
- Complaining about how expensive/weird everything is
- Expecting everyone to speak your language
- Over-sharing on social media
- Going someplace amazing and never leaving the resort
I travel to Europe on business half a dozen times each year. In general, the worst tourists are Americans.