MG Siegler on what it takes to make the iPad the main computing device. I’ll compare notes:
I prefer a physical keyboard — but I found one for the iPad that I quite love: the Logitech variety.
Ditto. I like the Ultrathin for iPad Air. But the size and weight starts to make the iPad Air more of a MacBook Air mini. With less power and battery life. Anything else?
One thing is specialized VPN access to certain things I need for work.
I use the built-in VPN to connect to the company network in Manhattan from my home in Brooklyn. Works great.
So what else holds me back? Well, habit.
Agreed. Most Mac and PC users already have a built-in workflow must be disrupted by using only an iPad.
Another inhibiting factor is the multitasking component to using a tablet. On a traditional computer, I basically live in the browser. But on the iPad, I have several apps which replace would-be browser windows. This means it’s not quite as fast as jumping from tab-to-tab.
We don’t really multi-task on Mac or PC, but the workflow can be faster with a larger screen and faster movement between apps.
But again, it’s almost as fast. I just perceive it to be otherwise. And I think I hold a fear that leaving the thing I’m doing will erase my progress in my current app.
In other words, the comfort level to do serious work on the iPad is less than on a Mac (or, PC).
I get 95% of the way there on an iPad, then save the remaining 5% for when I’m back at my MacBook. Do I really need to? No. But again, I have it in my head that I’ll be able to do it quicker or more completely on my computer.
For me, the percentage is less but growing. My workflow requires specific apps which do not have a counterpart on an iPad.