Matt Miller and Joel Evans talk up the obvious (spoiler alert) on ZDnet:
- Battery Life – iPhone hotspot sucks battery juice quickly
- Saves Time – Hotspot setup takes more time
- iPad Antenna – Better reception on an iPad
- GPS Receiver – 3G has GPS receiver built in
- 3G Is Cheaper – Compared to Wi-Fi Hotspot, 3G is less expensive
I can understand if you have a group of people or a family with multiple iPads and you want to connect all of them at once with one smartphone then you can use that phone as a sacrificial phone and WiFi only iPads may be the way to go.